Thursday 14 October 2010

There'll be ice cream this weekend

There are several reasons for celebration in our house this weekend. Becs made the dance team at school--18 girls out of 50 were selected, and she was one of them. This, despite having injured her foot at the first training session on Monday--apparently she "rolled" the top of her foot against the floor during one of the moves and since then it's been swollen and badly bruised and has, in fairness, given her quite a bit of pain. I don't think for a second it's anything serious and am quite sure that it will heal itself in a couple of days, but she took some Aleve before tonight's try-outs to help with the discomfort. She came home from try-outs in a rather disconsolate frame of mind. Her try-out group consisted of her and two younger girls who, she said, had no timing at all and were in fact a bit of a distraction in their mis-timed flailing around. Then she got cramp in her injured foot and lost her timing. She was convinced she'd blown it.

The results were due to be posted on the school doors at 7.30pm.

We had a meeting to attend at 7.00pm so on the way home we called round at the school to check. Of course, she was in the team, and much delight (and frantic texting of friends) ensued. On top of the dance team success, she brought home a straight A report card. Yes, there will be ice cream this weekend.

As for me? Well, I finished the socks! It was a close thing but in the end they were finished with several yards to spare that have already been knitted into my "One Strand Askew Sock Memorial Blanket"


The socks are a wee bit baggy--if I knit this pattern again I'll definitely knit the size down from these. I was planning on knitting a pair for Susan with the rest of the Porcini yarn (I think there'll be enough, she has little feet) but I think I'll have to adapt the pattern even further for her.

And the yarn came today for Heather's birthday socks. I like the Felici yarn, but have to admit that it's stranded a bit in the first few stitches. I suppose it is cheap yarn, when all is said and done. Having said that, it feels super-soft and is lovely to knit with. Plus, it's sport weight so it's knitting up nice and quickly. That's a bonus--her birthday is on Saturday! It's going to be tough to give these socks away though, I love the colourway. Might have to order some for myself before it sells out.



Now, the only decision left--what kind of ice cream to have...?

No comments:

Post a Comment