Sunday 10 October 2010

Groundhog Day!

I know, it's not February 2nd and I'm not in Punxsutawney, Pennsylvania but I saw a groundhog today--my very first one! I'd been to the grocery with Susan, we were on our way back (in the sweat-box, I might add) and had just turned onto our road when we saw it waddle across the road. Poor wee thing looked utterly freaked out, and I can't say I'm surprised. After all, it's a nocturnal creature (and apparently very shy) and there it was, middle of the road, broad daylight, over 90 degrees and sunny. By the way, did I mention how fed up I am with this weather now? Cool down, please!

Anyway, Susan slowed right down to pass it, it hunkered down at the side of the road, then I ran into the house, grabbed my camera and ran back outside again to catch a couple of pictures of it. By that time it had crossed our road (thank goodness we live on a cul-de-sac and there's not much traffic) and was hiding underneath a neighbour's car. I think it bared its teeth at me, Susan thinks it's just its muzzle.

So, a groundhog! Ironically, this is just at a point in my life where things have stopped being like groundhog day. But that's for another time.

As for the rest of the day...well, I've done some Latin (am I always doing Latin?) and now have more feminist theory to read. Susan is making her fabulous pork slow roasted with sage and apples for dinner (the house smells amazing, by the way) and I might throw in a pan of rice and beans. In the meantime, though, Becs and Izzy are bickering because we made them clean the bathtub for a second time--that's assuming they had actually already cleaned it, the amount of hair lurking in the bottom dictates otherwise. Thank goodness they're back at school tomorrow.

Groundhog pictures ahead...



See, look! It's showing its teeth!





By the way, can I just mention that I have blog envy? Susan's blog is so much better than mine. She blogs about real things, I just blog about nonsense. I wish I was interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment