Friday 22 October 2010

Edwards and Other Things

I had my hair cut today. It's been a long time--almost ten months, in fact. I can get away with that only because I have such long hair that you can rarely tell whether it's been cut or not, but the fringe (I think you American types call it "bangs") was getting unruly and Susan's mum had been kind enough to get me a $150 gift certificate to a local salon for my birthday. So, this morning, I got my hair cut. There's not much else to say about that other than that Susan ran across to a local olive oil shop (can you believe that there's even such a thing as a local olive oil shop) to get me a cup of the absolute BEST coffee in the world. She's such a sweetheart. Really. As for the coffee, though--it's Cuban, and amazing. As a rule, I don't like coffee. I love the smell, I love the idea of it, but can't bear to drink it. Yet this Cuban stuff I could drink eternally. Although if I did I'd probably never sleep again...

Lunch today, with Susan's mum, at PF Changs. Gluten free menu ahoy! Much delight! We've eaten there once before and despite my general disinterest in Chinese food I really enjoyed it. The fact that they have a dedicated gluten free menu makes it even more appealing. Lettuce wraps and Dali chicken were on the menu today and I left full as a frog and extremely content.

Now, for Edward. Now that Heather's socks are completely finished (did I not mention that?) I decided to knit up a small project that I'd seen for Jessie-Mai. It was a super-quick and simple knit, even if some of the smaller parts were a bit fiddly at times. Becs named him Edward. He's going in Jessie Mai's Christmas parcel, along with a Scandinavian jacket that has yet to be started.

Here's Edward:


Yes, that is a compact copy of the complete Oxford English Dictionary. Yes, we are that nerdy a family. Even our knitted toys are literate. And now I'm thinking about literature, I'm thinking he should be called Lycidas rather than Edward. Milton lovers will appreciate the pun.

I'm knitting a palate-cleansing project right now. I like to break up the more complicated knitting (not that socks are complicated, but they require at least a little thought) with something simple and relatively mindless. So I've started on a set of Halloween dishcloths in orange, black, and purple colourwork. Not entirely mindless, but close enough. I'll post pictures next time, my camera batteries are recharging right now.

And so, with that, time for bed.

1 comment: